March 12, 2016

Apple and gingerbread pie.

appel speculaastaart

Last month, we had a family dinner at my grandparents' house. Because my grandmother was having a tough time back then with taking care of my sick grandfather (she was doing it all on her own and you should know that my grandfather isn't the easiest person so lots of love for her), I decided to help her out the only way I know how: by baking! I made this apple gingerbread pie to surprise her (and the rest of the family) and I think they all really loved it. If they didn't, they didn't have the guts to tell me and you don't know my family but they're not the kind of people who wouldn't have the guts to tell me. So I'm assuming it was good (I never tasted it myself) which is why I'm sharing it now. Here's the recipe;

Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbs of speculoos spices
  • 250 g granulated sugar
  • 400 g self rising flour
  • 1/2 ts of salt
  • 250 g butter
  • 150 g almond viand
  • 6 apples
  • 2 ts of cinnamon

Preparation

  1. Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Mix the flour, 200 g of the sugar, the egg white and the speculoos spices together with the butter by hand in a bowl. The dough will be crumbly but that's normal. Flatten it and put in the refrigerator for an hour.
  2. In the meantime, you can start peeling the apples and cutting them into small pieces. Keep them in a bowl and sprinkle with the other 50g of the sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside until ready to use.
  3. Mix the almond viand with the egg yolk.
  4. After the dough has rested in the refrigerator, roll it out to 0.5 cm thick and put on the bottom of a springform pan. With the rest of the dough, you can coat the edges of the baking tin as well. Make sure you still have some dough left to decorate the pie at the end.
  5. Smear the almond viand on the bottom of the pie and fill with the apples. Now, take the rest of the dough and cut long, 2cm thick strokes of it. Put on top of the pie in a diamond pattern (see picture above) and put in a preheated oven of 175°C for about an hour.

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious!! En vooral stevige van structuur :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maar die van u was ook écht lekker ze! Vooral die appeltjes ;)

      Delete